Exeter City ladies edged out by Southampton

PUBLISHED: 10:38 19 September 2016 | UPDATED: 10:38 19 September 2016




A new look Exeter team began life in the FAWPL Division 1 South West League with their first game against Southampton Saints LFC at St Martins FC, Exminster on Sunday afternoon, writes Richard Walsh.

The hosts started brightly and were playing a good brand of passing football and on nine minutes Sarah Hill had the ball in the Saints net following a great cross from Karolayne Alencar but she was judged to have been offside. Another shot from Hill soon after was well held by the Saints keeper.

Saints started to grow into the game and forced a couple of corners which the defence and goal-keeper Nicky Lipscombe dealt with.

Just before half an hour a corner for Exeter was cleared quickly from Saints who counter attacked and Saints forward Krystal White was judged to be offside much to their frustration.

The first half was evenly contested with probably Exeter’s best chance being a free kick on edge of area after a handball following a Karolayne Alencar shot. Hill took the kick and only a great save from the Saints keeper stopped Exeter from taking a half time lead.

The second half began with Emily Toogood replacing keeper Lipscombe for the home side. Two minutes later Karolayne Alencar and Saints forward Krystal White were both given a yellow card for foul play.

Phoebe Licence replaced Molly Booth on 60mins.

On 63min a shot from Hill from 20 yards out hit the crossbar and a once again Exeter were denied a goal they deserved.

Soon after there was a booking for Paige Longworth-Wakeham who tackled White when she was through on goal, which resulted in a free kick being awarded which resulted in Saints taking the lead..

Exeter created a couple more chances towards the end of game, with Hill again shooting from outside the box, but the Saints keeper who had a good game, did well to preserve their lead as it ended 0-1 to the visitors.

Exeter ran out of time but positives can be taken from this game and a young team just starting out together can be very pleased with how they performed.

Manager Adam Grove said: “We were the better side in the first half, our players controlled the game and we should have scored through a number of good chances.

“Southampton made changes in the second half and as a result we had to change our shape. We reacted well and I was impressed with the composure we showed in possession at times.”

He added: “However conceding a goal due to an unlucky free kick is not disastrous and we move on to Plymouth on Thursday.”

Next up this week is a fixture against Plymouth Argyle LFC on Thursday (September 22) with kick-off at Elburton Villa being 7.45pm.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East Devon 24. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Latest from the East Devon 24