Woodbury Common poisonous mushroom warning; can be ‘fatal’ to dogs
PUBLISHED: 17:17 02 October 2017 | UPDATED: 17:17 02 October 2017
This content is subject to copyright.
“It has been recently reported that some dogs are eating a type of mushroom that grows on Woodbury Common and is potentially fatal to dogs if consumed in large quantities.” East Devon District Council has issued a warning to dog walkers.
Dog walkers are being warned to keep their pets away from a ‘potentially fatal’ mushroom spotted growing on Woodbury Common.
The red-topped and white spotted fungi is similar in appearance to a Fly agaric mushroom and is very poisonous to dogs.
The warning comes from East Devon District Council after it was reported dogs have been eating the deadly mushroom.
The council said dogs were at risk if they ate large quantities of the fungi and urged owners to watch pets closely.
Dog owners were encouraged to continue walking on the common, but to take extra precautions if their pets were known to graze.
A district council spokesperson said: “We understand that the mushroom to look out for, and stay well clear of, is very similar in appearance to the Fly agaric mushroom and is very poisonous to dogs.”
The spokesperson added: “It has been recently reported that some dogs are eating a type of mushroom that grows on Woodbury Common and is potentially fatal to dogs if consumed in large quantities.
“Dog owners should always keep their dog in view, but it would be wise to be extra vigilant if you know your dog to be an eater when out and about.
“In addition, if your dog is generally known to pick up and eat things, it may be advisable to keep them muzzled for that purpose.
“We would still encourage people to walk and exercise their dogs, but always keep an eye on what your dog is doing.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East Devon 24. Click the link in the orange box above for details.