Exmouth man, 25, jailed for racist abuse in takeaway

PUBLISHED: 12:07 03 November 2016

Sam Tigwell

Sam Tigwell


A knifeman who shouted racist abuse at takeaway staff has been jailed - after a judge branded him as ‘a complete nightmare’ for the people of Exmouth.

Samuel Tigwell was so drunk in the centre of the town that he fell asleep twice on the pavement, once in mid-afternoon and again in the evening.

On both occasions, he woke up and went into the Strand Fish Bar, where he subjected the two Turkish staff to a stream of foul-mouthed racist abuse.

He also threatened to cut their throats and was seen with a knife in Queen Street when he was thrown out for the second time.

Tigwell, 25, of Cunningham Road, Exmouth, admitted racially aggravated threatening behaviour and possession of a knife and was jailed for six months by Recorder Mr Richard Stead at Exeter Crown Court.

Tigwell is already serving two years for threatening his ex-partner with a knife and the new sentence will not alter his release date of May 2017.

Recorder Mr Richard Stead said:”For the citizens of Exmouth, he is a complete nightmare and there have been previous racially aggravated offences.”

Miss Bathsheba Cassel, prosecuting, said the two men working at the Fish Bar noticed Tigwell staggering around the street drunk at 4.30pm on April 21 before falling asleep on the pavement.

She said:”He was shouting and swearing aggressively towards members of the public. He went into the fish bar at about 8pm and started to be racially abusive.

“He said he did not like the people there. He said he was going to cut their throats and told them to go back to their country. He said if they came to the beach with him, he would show them what he would do to them.

“One of them tried to escort him out, but he shouted… They tried to assist him and offered him money to get food elsewhere, but he went back in shortly afterwards.

“He was even more drunk and started shouting further racial abuse.”

He then fell asleep again, but was roused by a concerned well-wisher and then seen brandishing a knife. At one point, he lifted his shirt and shouted he had a knife.

Miss Cassel said Tigwell had convictions for 73 previous offences, including a racially-aggravated assault, violence, drugs and possession of weapons.

Mr Paul Grumbar, defending, said Tigwell had been heavily under the influence of drink and legal highs and had no recollection of the night.

He said he accepted he needed help to tackle his addiction, hyperactivity and psychological problems. He said Tigwell had become a target for the police because of his previous offending.

He was out of control at the time because he was upset at learning his former partner had started a relationship with someone else.

He said: “He is known by everyone in Exmouth, particularly the police, who will find any excuse to get him remanded in custody to keep him away from the public.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East Devon 24. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the East Devon 24