Six goal thriller sees Sidmouth Town stage spectacular comeback

PUBLISHED: 08:49 08 November 2018 | UPDATED: 08:53 08 November 2018

Sidmouth Town at home to Axminster. Ref shsp 43 18TI 3299. Picture: Terry Ife

Sidmouth Town at home to Axminster. Ref shsp 43 18TI 3299. Picture: Terry Ife


Sidmouth Town extended their unbeaten home league run to four games after a dramatic comeback saw them draw 3-3 at home to Waldon Athletic, writes Sam Cooper.

Goals from Ash Small, Jack Hatswell and an own goal helped Sidmouth come back from two goals down to rescue a point in a game that threatened to boil over.

Going into the game, Sidmouth started five places above their opponents in the Division 1 East table, but that was not evident in the opening stages.

The first half was largely dominated by the away side with Sidmouth keeper Dan Machin making a number of smart stops.

Waldon’s dominance eventually earned its reward as they opened the scoring just a minute before half time.

Machin made a good save, but was powerless to stop the rebound effort from the Waldon number ten. A Sidmouth defender did manage to block on the line but he could only help the ball on its way into the net.

After an underwhelming showing in the first half, Sidmouth started strongly in the second period. Within nine minutes of the restart, they had their equaliser.

Ash Small, who had been Sidmouth’s best player in the first half, controlled a high pass with his chest before producing an acrobatic finish into the bottom left corner.

The goal brought the wind into Sidmouth’s sails but they soon found themselves on the back foot again. The scores stayed level for just three minutes as Waldon countered well and a two-on-one situation against the keeper allowed the striker to finish with easy.

Their goal advantage was double in the 61st minute when a low finish found its way past Machin into the bottom right corner.

The one-two sucker punch threatened to call an end to any point hopes Sidmouth had, but Small was again involved as the home side pulled the score back to 3-2.

In the 65th minute, Small darted down the right wing before drilling a ball across to Jack Hatswell who had a simple tap in.

Sidmouth were pushing for the equaliser as the clocked past the 80 minute mark, but ugly scenes threatened to bring a premature halt.

A Waldon player appeared to throw a head butt and received a straight red card, and, after refusing to leave the pitch, the referee warned he would call the game off. Five minutes went by before the player eventually departed and play restarted.

Now with a man advantage, Sidmouth pressed for that equaliser and duly got it in the fourth minute of injury time. A free-kick ricocheted off two Waldon defenders before finding the net to level the scores at 3-3.

After a significant period of additional time, the referee called a halt to proceedings with both sides picking up a point. It was a strong second half from Sidmouth who came alive after they scored their second goal. Sidmouth now welcome Alphington on Saturday (3pm).


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Devon 24 visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Devon 24 staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Devon 24 account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Other Sport Stories

34 minutes ago

Sidmouth & East Devon Fencing Club (SEDFC) sent a number of youngsters to Plymouth to compete at the Buckland Cup, a handicap junior foil meeting, and a number of medals were brought home, writes Nigel Manning.

Read more
35 minutes ago

The sporting adage of ‘you are never too old’ certainly applies to the news that Exmouth Harrier Ray Elston has just made his England debut at the grand age of 79, writes Des White.

Read more
40 minutes ago

The past week was certainly another busy one for Sidmouth bowlers with action in both county and national competitions, all with varying results, writes Carol Smith.

Read more
41 minutes ago

Madeira ladies continue to do well in the county competition, writes Jean Healey.

Read more
43 minutes ago

Axminster men’s Over-60s team had an excellent win in their league match against Dawlish, beating the South Devon club 90-54 with success for both home teams, writes David Harris.

Read more
Yesterday, 16:00

Barnstaple playing chief Jeremy Chugg intends keeping his promotion war chest padlocked until the New Year.

Read more
Yesterday, 15:00

Bideford coach Simon Morrell says his relegation-threatened team has to become a bit more ‘ruthless’ if it is going to clamber out of trouble.

Read more
Yesterday, 14:37

Ottery St Mary Under-13s moved up to fourth in Division One of the Exeter and District Youth League with an impressive 5-1 home victory over Crediton.

Read more
Yesterday, 14:14

Cranbrook returned from their Macron League Division Three game at Sidmouth Town thirds with a point after drawing 2-2.

Read more
Yesterday, 14:00

South Molton stepped up the pace in the second half to beat visiting Lanner 24-10.

Read more

Local Weather



max temp: 7°C

min temp: 1°C

Most Read Sport

Place a family notice

Family Notices 24

Newsletter Sign Up

East Devon 24 regular newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

FFind planning applications