Ottery St Mary suffer injury time cup heartache

PUBLISHED: 11:49 04 November 2018 | UPDATED: 11:58 04 November 2018

Ottery at home to North Tawton. Ref shsp 02-18TI 6101. Picture: Terry Ife

Ottery at home to North Tawton. Ref shsp 02-18TI 6101. Picture: Terry Ife


Ottery St Mary exited the Devon Senior Cup after a 2-1 defeat against Division 1 Kentisbeare, writes Sam Cooper.

The Otters were knocked out of the Devon Senior Cup at the third round stage after an injury time own goal gave Kentisbeare a 2-1 win at Washbrook Meadows.

A late goal in the first half from Ottery striker Corey Ringer had given the home side the lead, but two second half goals from the away side condemned the Otters to the defeat.

Ottery manager Dave Fairweather said he was ‘proud’ of his team despite the result and didn’t think they deserved the defeat. He told the Herald: “I was really proud of us toay. I thought we really looked like a good side.

“Sometimes when you play against a side which are meant to be better than you, you stop doing the basics right and we did those really well. We looked to play when we could, I’m really pleased.”

Despite being two divisions below their rivals, Ottery showed no signs of being in awe of their opponent. The opening stages were a tightly contested affair with both sides struggling to get shots away.

As the rain began to fall, both teams were finding it difficult to retain the ball and the majority of the attacks were coming on the counter.

Ottery keeper Jamie Evans was on hand to make a couple of smart saves just after the half hour mark.

In first half injury time, Ottery’s leading scorer Ringer, broke into the box and saw his initial shot saved, but when it came back to him, he calmly tucked it away and that proved to be the final kick of the half.

Their lead did not last long though, as two minutes into the second half, Kentisbeare equalised when Kieran Fry rifled a shot that a home defender, on the goal line, could only help on its way into the net!

With the contest heading towards extra-time, the Kents’ forged one more attack and, when the ball was crossed into a crowded area where, cruelly, it ricocheted off Ottery skipper Curtis Winchcombe and then the keeper on its way into the net.

The goal, a classic sucker-punch, was timed at 95 minutes and,, for a hugely impressive Ottery, who deserved to have the extra half-hour , and then a possible penalty shoot-out, it was certainly hard to take.

Next up for the Otters, it’s back to Macron League Division Three action and a Saturday (November 10) visit to Newton St Cyres (2.15pm).


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other East Devon 24 visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by East Devon 24 staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique East Devon 24 account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Other Sport Stories


Chard ladies were beaten 69-0 when they visited Minehead, writes David Webb.

Read more

Barnstaple playing chief Jeremy Chugg intends keeping his promotion war chest padlocked until the New Year.

Read more

Bideford coach Simon Morrell says his relegation-threatened team has to become a bit more ‘ruthless’ if it is going to clamber out of trouble.

Read more

Ottery St Mary Under-13s moved up to fourth in Division One of the Exeter and District Youth League with an impressive 5-1 home victory over Crediton.

Read more

Cranbrook returned from their Macron League Division Three game at Sidmouth Town thirds with a point after drawing 2-2.

Read more

South Molton stepped up the pace in the second half to beat visiting Lanner 24-10.

Read more

Park United are top of the North Devon Premier after cruising to victory over Torrington on Saturday.

Read more

Torridgeside made it seven league wins in a row on Saturday to earn three more points in the South West Peninsula League East Division.

Read more

Honiton Town suffered a last minute defeat when beaten 2-1 by Newton Abbot Spurs at Mountbatten Park.

Read more

Upottery Reserves were involved in the Macron League Division Five ‘Match of the Day’ when they travelled to play the team that started the day sitting immediately behind them in the table, Devon Yeoman.

Read more

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 4°C

min temp: -0°C

Most Read Sport

Place a family notice

Family Notices 24

Newsletter Sign Up

East Devon 24 regular newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

FFind planning applications