Teenager’s phone charger blaze nightmare

PUBLISHED: 18:24 16 February 2017 | UPDATED: 18:24 16 February 2017

Fire damage in Ella Dye's bedroom from her phone charger

Fire damage in Ella Dye's bedroom from her phone charger

Archant

Ella Dye, aged 13, from Exmouth, is warning against charging mobile phones overnight; her bedroom caught fire

Fire damage in Ella Dye's bedroom from her phone chargerFire damage in Ella Dye's bedroom from her phone charger

A 13-year-old schoolgirl from Littleham is highlighting the danger of leaving mobile phones charging overnight after her bedroom caught fire.

Ella Dye, an Exmouth Community College student, last week led her family to safety in the early hours of the morning because her bed was engulfed in flames; her phone charger, plugged in nearby, was ablaze.

The teenager, of St Margaret’s View, Exmouth, and her family has spoken to the Journal in the hope of preventing another near-tragedy.

Ella, who has suffered nightmares since the fire, had nipped to the loo, using her phone as a torch, finding flames licking up the walls of her room when she returned to bed moments later.

Fire damage in Ella Dye's bedroom from her phone chargerFire damage in Ella Dye's bedroom from her phone charger

Her mum Jacqui Dye, 44, said: “She came back and saw where her head was only a few minutes ago; it was completely ablaze. It doesn’t bear thinking about. It’s really worrying.

“Her bed was alight. There were really big flames where her pillows were.

She added: “She’s had nightmares; nightmares that she did get up and nightmares that she didn’t. It’s going to take some time.”

Ella’s mobile phone had been on charge overnight near her bed, plugged into a wall socket.

Fire damage in Ella Dye's bedroom from her phone chargerFire damage in Ella Dye's bedroom from her phone charger

The teenager believes the family dogs, sleeping in the same room, initially raised the alarm, waking Ella and prompting her to get up.

Unplugging her phone from the charger to use as a torch, Ella left the room to use the bathroom, but was confronted by flames when she returned minutes later. She quickly raised the alarm.

After the fire service tackled the blaze, the shocked family huddled in silence under a blanket on the sofa. They cannot return to the property for three months because of water and smoke damage.

Mum Jacqui is warning against buying cheap mobile phone chargers or leaving them on overnight, or unattended.

She said the charger in Ella’s room was ‘completely welded’ to the socket.

“If the price is too good to be true, don’t buy it,” Jacqui said. “And don’t leave them on overnight. Charge your phone during the day on a hard surface so if anything does happen it’s not going to catch alight.”

Station manager Nigel Deasy, of Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service, said: “The family did the right thing by closing the door on the fire and leaving the property safely before calling 999.

“We would like to remind people to ensure they buy chargers from a reputable retailer or the product manufacturer as unofficial chargers are often made with poor quality components that fail to meet UK safety regulations.

“In addition, do not leave electrical items charging on soft furnishings which allow a local heat build-up with the risk of it causing a fire.”

Other News Stories

16:28

Officers will continue to operate from their Queen Street base until at least 2024

Read more

A project to get more Sidmouth residents on their bikes and investigate potential new routes and the costs involved has been given a £1,300 boost.

Read more
18:30

A former Olympic bobsledder is hoping for a fresh run of success as she launches her innovative new business in Exmouth.

Read more
17:22

Charity recreation of wartime route march will cover 135 miles in five days from Ilfracombe to Wiltshire

Read more

The case has finally been closed on a man who went missing from Sidmouth in November 2005 after a High Court judge declared him presumed dead.

Read more

Retired mental health nurse Heather Penwarden said charity Mind had been forced to end its provision in Honiton and support at home was not going to be provided.

Read more

The ‘jewel in the crown’ of Torridge is celebrating its 14th Blue Flag award in a row, hailing another year of clean bathing water.

Read more
15:20

Adrian Jewell, 46, of Liskeard was found guilty of raping and sexually assaulting two girls, and secretly filming another, in North Devon.

Read more
14:58

Axe Valley and West Dorset Ring and Ride Service recieves a £2,000 donation

Read more

“We need as many responses as possible to create a blueprint that reflects the whole of the community – from children to families to older people.”

Read more

Local Weather

Sunny

Sunny

max temp: 20°C

min temp: 10°C

Most Read News

Place a family notice

Family Notices 24

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Local business directory

Devon's trusted business finder

FFind planning applications